Home repairs and painting
The information we provide is intended to simplify your house paint tasks. Tools, products, materials, techniques, building codes and local regulations change; therefore we assume no liability for omissions, errors or the outcome of any project. The reader must always exercise reasonable caution, follow applicable codes and regulations, and is urged to consult with a professional if in doubt about any procedures.
Please read our brief tips on safety and USE Them!!!
There are many new products that make remodeling and repair jobs quick and easy. Most injuries, illness, and death that happens while fixing things around the house is caused by improper use and/or lack of knowledge.
READ the instructions
Chemicals Can Kill You . . .
Many adhesives, cleaners, strippers, paints, and other finishes have some extremely toxic ingredients. Some are deadly and cannot be made non-poisonous. Read the label. If it says use with adequate ventilation, then this means to open windows and doors, use a fan, and don't breathe the stuff; go outside and take a break every few minutes. Respirators are available that will filter out toxic fumes, protect yourself and use them.
Some products do not have adequate hazard warnings. If you want to know more about them, there's a Web site that has Material Safety Data Sheets for just about any chemical that is even mildly hazardous.
No Smoking or Open Flames . . .
Many chemicals can change into more deadly ones when heated by a cigarette. Always wash your hands well before smoking. If even a tiny amount of a chemical gets on the cigarette, it may be enough to harm you. Many chemicals can ignite or explode easily. Rags or cleaning cloths soaked with chemicals can explode into flames, (spontaneous Combustion). Always rinse with water and allow to dry before disposing. Never throw them into a corner somewhere thinking "I'm going to need them again tomorrow", there may not be a house tomorrow if you do not practice good safety habits. Open pilot lights can ignite airborne fumes from solvents.
Beware of Loose Clothing . . .
When you have loose sleeves, baggy pants, or rags hanging out of your pocket, they can get caught by power tools, or a ladder.
Protective Gear . . .
Protective clothing and eye protection should be used. Some work will require a filter mask or special breathing apparatus. Often, you will need to wear gloves and/or boots when working with chemicals. It only takes a few minutes to put on your protective gear, and they cost a lot less than a visit to the hospital.
Watch Your Step . . .
Keep the floor clear of debris and things you can trip on, or fall over. Don't use ladders unless they are in good condition. Always test a ladder to make sure it is "set" prior to climbing. When working on a roof, use a safety rope, or nail treads to the roof so you don't fall. When working in an unfinished attic, use several wide boards so you don't fall through the ceiling.
Know Your Tools . . .
Power tools -- ALWAYS wear eye protection when using power tools. Saws and sanders throw out a lot of dust and tiny bits of material, Do you really want that in your lungs??? Wear a dust mask,they are lightweight,inexpensive and NECESSARY!
Buckets Can KILL!!
Every year in this county small children are killed by drowning in five gallon buckets. It doesn't seem that it would be a danger that we should worry about but even one child's unnecessary death should make us aware of the danger.
Toddlers are curious souls and they want to help. At that young age their heads are much larger in proportion to rest of their small bodies. They find themselves next to a five gallon bucket. They look over into it. Then they are in it. Head first. With no way to get out. Please be aware and keep those buckets covered at all times,it only takes a few seconds for disaster to strike!
Other Issues You Should be Aware Of
Lead Paint Information A possible danger for all pre 1978 homes. Today there are still about 38 million homes that contain some lead paint-about 40% of all US housing.
Mold and Mildew
Toxic Products in your Home
Spontaneous Combustion Be aware of this danger!
Encapsulation A Cost effective solution for Lead Paint, Asbestos and Chemically Treated Lumber